Dunnn to Perfection: Dig Dig Dig! Little man's 2nd Birthday cake!

Thursday, July 25, 2013

Dig Dig Dig! Little man's 2nd Birthday cake!

My son turned two back in May and one of his loves is digger trucks, excavators - any kind of construction vehicle really!  So I decided to make a digger cake for his party. 

The cake was a chocolate mud rectangle cake and iced with chocolate butter cream. 

Before I iced it I 'dug' out a hole of the cake and put it aside. When I went to ice it I iced around the hole. I put the dug out cake in the food processor and made it into 'dirt'. I then spooned it back onto the cake partly in the hole and partly next to the hole (on top of the icing). 

I found it harder than I anticipated to find small enough toy diggers for the size of the cake. I tracked them down at K-mart and Toys 'r' Us.  Specialty toy shops do stock them but are more expensive and I didn't have the time to try another lot of shops! 


The rocks are a mixture of chocolate coated nuts and sultanas. I also found the coloured rocks at a local lolly shop. They are chocolate inside!

I made the orange cones out of a small bit of fondant.  Just roll out a ball and then roll one end to make a point and the gently push the other end down to make it flat so it can stand. 

I then positioned the vehicles on and around the cake. The best thing is they are still be played with now - just try and get any excess icing off before it gets rubbed into your carpet! 

The cake was a hit with the birthday especially and the guests! 



What type of cake did your two year old have? 


Linked up to the following:
Linked to Look what I made at Creations by Kara
Whatever goes Wednesdays at Someday Crafts  
Show and Share at Southern Lovely  
Lil Luna Link Party at Lil Luna 
Made by me at Jaqs Studio 
Lets hear it for the boys at Seven Thirty Three  

1 comment:

Stacy said...

That is absolutely adorable and perfect for a little boy's birthday! Well done!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Total Pageviews